Wednesday 5 June 2013

Evaluation


Like a Virgin- Angela
In this monologue I wanted to show that even though Angela was ill, she was still a typical teenager. I did this by having my arms folded and my posture was slightly hunched this not only showed that Angela is a typical teenager, but she's also quite vulnerable. I also used my voice to show the different emotions that Angela was feeling. For example when I say 'What have I done that's so bloody wrong?' I projected my voice to show that she was angry and upset. Where was when I said 'I don't know why...but I am' I said quietly and turned away from the person I was talking to and looked down. I did this to show she doesn't understand why she's got the illness and she's now come to the realisation that she's going to die.
I use certain words and lines in the speech to show high tension and climatic sections of the monologue, for example when I say 'look at you you're pathetic, just standing their not wanting to say anything incase you hurt my feelings' I said standing close to the girl I was speaking to, whereas when I said, 'no you go I don't feel up to it' I said far away from the girl. I did this to show my different emotions in the monologue and to show different states of tension, when my character was angry I would move close to her and when things were less tense, or when she was talking to herself I would be further away, this represented that she is isolated from her and society because of her illness.
I tried to show the setting of where I was by the way I moved around and when I sat on the chair emphasised the fact that it was in her bedroom. I also sat on the chair to show that my character was reflecting on what she should be doing.
To show Angela was from a middle class family, I made sure my posture was slightly hunched and slightly dragging her feet to reinforce this. I also shortened words to show that she's not from a high class family and that she doesn't properly pronounce her words and shortens them showing that she's middle class and a teenager.
By turning my back quite often to the person who I was speaking to showed that my character is quite moody and doesn't really care about her feelings and that she's the one who is most important in this monologue, even though the person who she is speaking to is her best friend. This shows the audience just how having this illness has effected her.

Star-Spangled Girl- Sophie
I think I made my character believable in my audition. One of the ways I did this was by having an accent. Seeing as Sophie is from Southern America I had a Southern American accent. Which I think worked really well. I made this accent believable by changing words like 'my' to 'mah' which is what a person from Southern American says it like. I also thought it worked well having a chair in my monologue, by doing this it showed the audience that I was talking directly to someone in front of me and showed that we were both in an environment where we would be sitting down.
My character Sophie is quite well mannered. polite and lady like. So to show this I made sure my posture was upright and poised (contrasting with my other characters posture). I also used my facial expressions to show my disgust with the man i'm talking to. But also by not showing many emotions on my face, it makes the piece more comic to watch.
I made sure I knew when the comic bits in my piece were so I could leave some pauses for laughs to add to the comic effect of the piece and also for the audience to hear what i'm saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment